250 gr. (2 cups) all purpose flour plus 50 gr. (1/2 cup) potato starch gr.
100 gr. (1/2 cup) sugar
2 large eggs (separated)pinch of salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup soft butter + 1/4 cup coconut oil (or all coconut oil ok)
1 cup almond milk
grated rind of a lemon
2 tbsp. lemon juice for sprinkling on the apples
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
2 organically grown unpeeled and sliced golden delicious (or gala) apples.
for topping: 1/4 cup sliced almonds and 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 370deg F (180deg C).
2. Grease and flour an 8 or 9 inch (18 cm.) round cake pan (with removable sides if possible).
3. Beat the egg whites with the salt until fluffy but not dry. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg yolks and add the sugar gradually continuing to beat until fluffy. Beat in the grated lemon rind.
5. Beat in the butter and/or oil, 1/2 of the almond milk and a couple of spoonfuls of the following flour mixture.
6. Whisk the flour, starch, baking powder and soda together.
7. Gradually mix in the rest of the flour mixture alternating with the 1/2 cup milk.
8. Quickly beat in the 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar. (optional, but it boosts the rising power). 9. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. (if too much, you can fill 2 or 3 cup cakes with the excess)
10. Arrange the sliced apples (sprinkled with lemon juice) in a spoke-like fashion, starting from the outer edge.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
12. Remove cake from oven and let it cool.
13. In the meantime quickly toast the sliced almonds in a small pan over low heat until slightly golden.
14. Sprinkle them over the cake. Top with a dusting of powdered sugar and serve.
TIP: The un-toasted almonds can be also sprinkled over the unbaked cake but frequently they can turn too dark so I prefer to add them when the cake is done.