BATTER INGREDIENTS for cake layers
300 gr. all purpose flour
150 gr. butter
100 gr. sugar
100 gr. honey
1 tsp. baking soda
1 pinch of salt
600 gr. (25% fat) sour cream
130 gr. powdered sugar
a few drops vanilla extract
1. Melt butter and sugar on low heat, then stir in honey.
2. As soon as the mix starts to boil, add the baking soda and stir again.
3. Cook for a minute (The mixture will increase in size due to the reaction of the baking soda).
4. Remove from heat to cool.
5. Once cooled, mix in the two eggs, salt and flour. Divide the batter in two.
6. Spread one half over a parchment lined baking tray. (It should spread easily)
7. Bake in a preheated 180deg C oven for 7-8 min. until golden. Repeat with other half.
8. When baked layers are cooled cut them into equal rectangular pieces.
PROCEDURE FOR FILLING and Assemblage
Mix the filling ingredients with a spoon until smooth (Don’t use a mixer or filling will lose its thickness). Layer the rectangular pieces of the cake with the sour cream filling.
Use the cut off scraps of cake for the decoration. Do this by baking them for an additional 7 minutes in a 180deg C oven. When cooled crumble the pieces adding 50 gr. of walnuts. Whirl them together in a food processor into rough sized bits (not a powder). Decorate the top and sides of the cake with this mixture. Chill cake overnight in the fridge for better flavor. Top with marzipan bumblebees if desired.
My beautiful birthday surprise at Richie and Anet’s in Switzerland