For the crust:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup ground almonds (almond meal)
1/2 cup butter + 2 tbsp coconut oil (solid but not refrigerated state) butter ok too
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup very cold sparkling water
1. Mix dry ingredients and cut in the fats with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Sprinkle the cold water gradually over the above mixture, mixing constantly with a fork until a ball forms. Be careful not to add too much water or the dough will be sticky. Sprinkle the ball of dough with a little flour and divide it in half (one half should be slightly larger – for the bottom crust). Flatten the balls slightly to a disc shape. Wrap each piece in cling film and keep in a cool place (not fridge) until ready to roll out.
3. Roll out the larger half over wax paper (or between) with a floured rolling pin (I like to use a smaller wooden one with a woven pastry sleeve – won’t stick like the usual rolling pin). The dough should be slightly larger than the pie pan. Flip the crust together with the wax paper over the pan and gently peel away the wax paper – good way to avoid any tearing. Trim the edges and prepare the filling.
Apple cranberry filling:
4 large or 5 medium tart apples peeled and sliced (sprinkled generously with lemon juice)
1/2 to 2/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sugar (I used light brown) mixed with 3 tbsp flour and 2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of salt
1/4 cup ground amaretto cookies
1 – 2 tbsp butter
1. Mix the apples and cranberries with the sugar mixture.
2. Sprinkle the bottom crust in the pan with the amaretto cookies.
3. Spoon the apple mixture evenly into the pan and dot with the butter.
4. Roll out the other half of crust in the same way as the bottom. Keep it plain or roll over a special lattice cutter or slice the crust in strips and make your own lattice top. Lay over the desired top crust and pinch the edges together. Crimp the edge or press with a fork all around. If the crust is whole, prick top with a fork or make a few decorative slashes.
5. Bake the pie in a hot pre-heated oven (375 deg F) (or 180 deg C) for about 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.