INGREDIENTS (for about 24 small cupcakes)
200 gr. (about 1/2 lb.) fresh kale (only tender leaves)
2 large eggs divided
1/2 cup (100 ml) coconut oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup (100 gr.) apple sauce
1/2 cup agave syrup
2 medium sweet apples, grated
2 cups (250 gr.) all purpose flour
1 tsp spirulina powder (optional)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
optional: 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
For Icing: (1 cup powdered sugar beaten together with 1 tbsp. cream cheese or soft butter and 1 tbsp. apple sauce and 1 tsp. vanilla)
1. Steam bite sized pieces of kale until tender. Cool and drain and puree’.
2. Beat egg yolks, oil, apple sauce, vanilla and agave syrup until smooth.
3. Beat in the cooled and pureed kale along with the grated apple.
4. Sift all the dry ingredients together and mix them into the kale mixture. Mix in the vinegar.
5. Beat the egg whites until firm and fold them gently into the above batter.
6. Pour the batter into paper lined cupcake tins.
7. Bake in a preheated 180deg C (375deg F) oven for 20-30 minutes or until done.
8. When cooled ice the cupcakes with icing if desired and top with a fresh blueberry.
TIP: You can bake the batter in two lined cake pans if you prefer and put the layers together with the icing.