8-10 sheets of fresh Filo Dough (usually one package)
3 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 cup crushed Amaretti Cookies
1/2 cup rhubarb jam
Optional: 1 tbsp. brandy or white wine
powdered sugar to dust
1/3 cup dried (but soft) sweetened cranberries
2 cups unpeeled organic apples, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup chopped or whole almonds (I kept mine whole)
3 tbsp. sugar mixed with 1 level tbsp. flour and 1 tsp. cinnamon
juice of 1/2 lemon and grated rind
1. Preheat oven to 350deg F (180deg C).
2. In a large bowl mix together the apples, rhubarb, cranberries, almonds, sugar mixture and lemon juice with lemon rind. Set aside.
3. In a small pan heat the jam and brandy until melted. Set aside.
4. Unroll the filo sheets. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying.
5. Cover a large baking sheet with wax paper.
6. Place two filo sheets at a time on the baking sheet and brush with some of the melted butter. Repeat with remaining layers.
7. Spread the top surface evenly with the softened jam.
8. Sprinkle the crushed cookies over the jam layer.
9. Now spread the apple rhubarb mixture along one long edge of the filo sheets (about the width of your hand) leaving a couple of inches (3-4 cm.) room at each end.
10. Roll tightly to the other side, tucking in the ends to form a neat package.
11. Place strudel on the lightly buttered wax paper lined pan – seam side down.
12. Bake 40-45 minutes until golden brown. When cooled, dust with powdered sugar.