1 cup all purpose flour (I used Integralbianco)*
1/3 cup coconut oil (semi solid state – not liquid)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Lemon almond top
1/2 cup aquafaba (exact amount I got from a jar of chickpeas)
juice of 1/2 large lemon (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup coconut sugar
grated zest from one large organic lemon
1/2 cup finely ground almond meal
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1. Line an 8″ (20 cm) square pan with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flour with the powdered sugar.
3. Work in the coconut oil to form fine clumps (like piecrust).
4. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
5. Bake the bottom crust in a preheated 350deg F oven (170deg C) for 20 minutes.
6. Beat the aquafaba until foamy. Gradually beat in the sugar until stiff peaks form.
7. Mix in the lemon juice and rind on low speed – then the almond meal.
8. Pour the mixture over the hot crust, smooth over, and bake an additional 25 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into bars. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
*Integral bianco is an Italian white flour that contains all of the natural nutrients of the wheat germ.