2 cups (300 gr.) frozen quartered artichokes (or equivalent fresh)
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic halved
1 store bought rolled whole wheat puff pastry round
a handful of black pitted olives
a handful of cherry tomatoes
1 and 1/2 cups (250 gr.) ricotta cheese
one small cubed mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup (50 gr.) grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. milk
2 beaten eggs
salt and pepper to season
fresh sprig of thyme
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
OPTIONAL: 4 rashers of smoked lean bacon (“speck”)
1. Saute’ frozen artichokes in a little oil with the garlic (about 8 min.).
2. Halfway through cover the artichokes. When done set aside.
3. In the meantime beat the eggs with the milk, ricotta and parmesan cheeses.
4. Season with the salt and pepper. Mix in the mozzarella and herbs.
5. Place the puff pastry in a pie pan and lightly oil bottom. Cover with bacon slices if using.
6. Spread the cheese mixture over the pastry.
7. Press the artichoke quarters evenly into the cheese mixture.
8. Arange the olives and halved cherry tomatoes over the top.
9. Now crimp the pastry around the edge to secure the filling. Bake at 350F (180C) for 25-30 min.