Crisp bread disks
1/2 cup (50 gr.) all purpose flour
2 tbsp. chickpea (garbanzo beans) flour
1 and 1/2 tbsp. light olive oil
2 tbsp. (20 gr.) water
1/2 lb. (200 gr.) green asparagus cleaned and woody ends cut
1 tbsp.(20 gr.) honey
tarragon (10 gr.) (basil ok too, or omit)
3 tbsp.(40 gr.) olive oil
2 tbsp.(20 gr.) soya sauce
1 stalk of celery (40 gr.) peeled and cut in small diagonal pieces
1 piece (20 gr.) ginger root sliced into thin strips
dash of curry
3 medium carrots (150 gr.)
2 small zucchini (150 gr.) chopped into small cubes
few sprigs fresh mint (20 gr.)
salt to taste
To prepare crisp bread disks:
1. Combine all the bread disk ingredients together to form a dough. Let rest for 1/2 hr.
2. Roll out the dough very thin and cut out disks with a biscuit cutter about 3 1/2 inches diameter (8cm.)
3. Place disks on a wax paper covered cookie sheet. Brush half of them with honey and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
4. Bake in a 375deg F (190deg C) oven for about 5 minutes until golden. Cool, set aside.
5. In the meantime boil or steam 1/2 the asparagus about 4 minutes or until crisp tender. Set aside.
6. Cut the rest of the uncooked asparagus diagonally into short pieces.
7. Take half of these and cook them in a little oil with ginger and soya sauce for 6 minutes. Set aside.
8. Cook the other half of the asparagus, covered, in a little oil with the chopped celery and honey for 6 min.*
*sprinkle with fresh tarragon if using
To prepare the zucchini pesto
1. Saute’ the zucchini in a little oil. Season with salt and pepper, cool slightly and add the chopped fresh mint.
2. Blend in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
To prepare the carrot sauce
1. Boil the peeled carrots, cut into chunks, in salted water for 1/2 hr. Cool slightly.
2. Blend in a food processor together with a little oil and curry powder until smooth.
To assemble the dish
1. Alternate the various asparagus preparations between the crisp bread disks (as in the photo) starting with the ginger flavoured asparagus on the bottom, then the honey flavoured asparagus and ending with the steamed asparagus on top. Place a dollop of the zucchini pesto on top of the last asparagus. Add a sprig of fresh mint to decorate if desired. Swirl the carrot sauce all around and serve.