2 cups cooked Basmati rice
1 1/2 cups milk (or almond milk)
pinch of salt
4-5 tbsp. sugar (or 3-4 tbsp. honey)
1 tbsp. soft butter or coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs
grated rind of an organic lemon plus 2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/3 cup crushed amaretto cookies
OPTIONAL: 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins.
1. Beat the eggs with the sugar until fluffy.
2. Beat in the butter.
3. Beat in the lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla.
4. Gradually mix in the milk and rice. Set aside.
5. Grease a small casserole or pan and sprinkle with half of the crushed cookies.
6. Pour the rice pudding mixture into the pan and sprinkle with the rest of the crushed cookies.
7. Bake in a preheated 325deg F (160deg C) oven for about 40-45 minutes or until set. (To test, slide the tip of a knife into the center: it should come out clean)
8. Cool slightly and serve warm. Good cold too.
TIP: Serve with cream or a fruit sauce if desired.