INGREDIENTS (for 12 roses)
1 large or two unpeeled organic apples
1/2 roll of filo dough
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped walnuts (or almonds, or mix of both)
1/3 cup brown sugar
maple syrup (or honey)
optional: powdered sugar
1. Core and cut unpeeled apples into quarters. Slice each into thin slices, sprinkling with lemon juice. Set aside.
2. Slice filo dough roll into 2″ (4 cm.) sections or the depth of your muffin tins. Unroll each section into strips.
3. Butter about 3 or 4 layers with a pastry brush for each rose.
4. Align a row of apple slices on top of each three layer strip.
5. Sprinkle each strip with mixture of chopped nuts, brown sugar and cinnamon.
6. Start rolling up each strip from one end to form rose.
7. Place each rose in a buttered muffin tin. Press down slightly to open up petals.
8. Brush any remaining butter on top. Squiggle a little maple syrup on top.
9. Bake in a 400deg.F (190deg.C) preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 375deg.(180deg.) and bake for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Serve warm or cold sprinkled with powdered sugar if desired.