1 cup flour
1 beaten egg
1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 – 1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup light beer
oil for frying
for stuffed zucchini flowers:
12 zucchini flowers trimmed with stems removed
1 small mozzarella cut into 12 parts
4 anchovy fillets cut into 3 pieces
1. Gradually mix the flour and seasonings into the beaten egg with 1/2 the beer.
2. Mix in the 1 tsp. oil and rest of the beer to form a pancake-like consistency. (add more beer if too thick).
3. Prepare vegetables of your choice cut into small pieces. (zucchini, artichokes, etc.)
4. If using zucchini flowers, place a piece of mozzarella and anchovy into the flower.
5. Using two forks dip the vegetable or flower carefully into the batter, let excess drain slightly and fry in the hot oil (about 1 cm, (1/2 inch) deep minimum) in a wide pan. (about 4-6 at a time).
6. When browned on one side, turn over and finish frying.
7. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
TIP: The end of the flower can be tied off with a strand of chive or a long celery fiber to prevent the filling from coming out. Also for a lighter version the egg can be omitted, but adding more beer.