For two burgers:
250 gr. (slightly more than 1/2 lb.) steamed or cooked beets, grated
1 to 2 T. grated red onion
1 medium grated carrot
1 small garlic clove, crushed
80 gr. (1/2 cup plus 1 T.) rolled oats
a pinch of mixed Provence herbs, thyme or other herbs of your choice
salt and pepper to taste
2 whole wheat buns
optional: fresh sage leaves
1. Grate the beets, carrot, onion and garlic (drain any excess juice).
2. Mix in oats, egg, spices and seasonings.
3. Chill mixture in fridge a few minutes (to firm up a bit).
4. Form two large or three smaller patties.
5. Dip in flour on both sides.
6. Fry about 4 min. per side in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
7. If desired fry a few sage leaves alongside. (these can be eaten too!)
8. Serve plain in a bun (or without) with mayo if desired and/or caramelized red onions.