INGREDIENTS (8 waffles)
2 cups (140 gr.) flour*
1/4 cup (20 gr.) chestnut flour
1/4 cup (20 gr.) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup (60 gr.) melted butter** (1/2 coconut oil good)
1 cup (200 ml) almond milk (1/2 kefir good)
3-4 tbsp. (50 gr.) brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
optional: whipped cream, red currants, strawberries
1. Beat eggs and brown sugar until fluffy.
2. Mix in the milk and melted butter** (leave a little for greasing the waffle iron). Set aside.
3. Sift the dry ingredients together (the flours, cocoa, leavening, cinnamon and salt).
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Mix in the apple cider vinegar.
5. Heat the waffle iron (slightly more than medium setting).
6. Pour 1/3 cupfuls of the batter onto the greased waffle iron. Close the iron and bake until done.
7. Remove waffle and continue with the rest of the batter.
8. Serve warm with the optional ingredients if desired.
*You can use all-purpose or gluten free flour if desired. I like to use a mixture of all-purpose, buckwheat, amaranth, oatmeal and quinoa flours.