1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup plain white yogurt
3 rounded tablespoonfuls unsweetened cocoa powder
1 slightly beaten egg
1 cup leftover cooked oatmeal
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350deg.F (170deg.C). Line an 8×8 inch. (20×20 cm.) cake pan with
slightly greased parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a small bowl.
3. Gently melt together the coconut oil, sugar and honey over a very low flame. Remove from heat and mix in the yogurt, cocoa powder, egg, oatmeal and vanilla.
4. Gradually stir in the flour mixture into the above, trying not to over mix. Fold in the walnuts.
5. Spread into the baking dish. Sprinkle a handful of chocolate chips evenly over the top. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. While the chocolate chips are still warm, spread them out with the back of a spoon or a small spatula to form its own frosting. Lift out cake onto a cooling rack. Store tightly covered when cold.
Tip: If you don’t like or make porridge and want to make this recipe, you could leave 1/2 cup of oatmeal to soak in 2 cups of water overnight. Then measure out 1 cup.