INGREDIENTS (for a small 8 inch pie)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4-1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup (75 ml) very cold water (or a mix with white wine)
1 lb. (about 500 gr.) fresh pitted and halved cherries
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
Prepare filling first.
Place cherries and water into a medium sized saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. When cherries release their juice and are simmering (less than 10 minutes) stir in the sugar mixed with the cornstarch. Keep stirring while the filling becomes thicker (about 5-10 minutes) Remove and set aside to cool. In the meantime prepare the crust:
1. Whisk flour and salt together.
2. Work the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture.
3. Quickly stir in the cold water with a fork until a ball of dough forms.
4. Flatten dough into a disk and cut in two with one half sightly larger.
5. Roll out the larger disk to a round that fits into the pie or cake pan. Set aside.
6. Fill the crust lined pan with the cooled cherry filling without spilling over the sides.
7. Now roll out the rest of the dough and cut out strips to form a lattice top.
8. Bake the pie at 375deg F (180deg C) for about 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden.
9. Cool pie and remove the sides of the pan (if you have a removable rim). Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice-cream if desired.