500 gr. (about 3 medium) bananas (chopped into small cubes) 1 cup (120 gr.) whole wheat flour
3/4 cup (100 gr.) corn starch
2 large or three medium eggs
1/2 cup (80 gr.) coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
1/3 cup (40 gr.) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
pinch of salt
3/4 cup (150 gr.) soya milk (or almond milk) unsweetened
1/3 cup light olive oil (or coconut oil or a mix)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped walnuts if desired
optional: 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (helps with rising)
To decorate: 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350deg F (170deg C). Line an 8inch diameter pan with greased wax paper.
2. Sift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, soda, salt and cocoa together.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy.
4. Beat in the oil and vegetable milk. Mix in the vanilla.
5. Mix this liquid mixture into the dry flour mixture until completely incorporated. Don’t over beat.
6. Mix in the apple cider vinegar if using. (it won’t affect the taste)
7. Now fold in the chopped bananas and nuts.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
9. Cake should spring back when gently pressed with a finger in the middle. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out to cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar when cold and serve.