The spicy aroma is the same but with the added flavor of cocoa. The white piping even contrasts more with the darker color of the cookies.
100 gr. (2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
25 gr. (1/4 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
100 gr. (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp.) cold butter
50 gr. (1/4 cup) coconut (or brown) sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
pinch of powdered cloves
pinch of salt
Glaze for decoration: 1/2 cup powdered sugar + a few drops of water
1. Sift together the dry ingredients (except sugar)
2. Add butter in small pieces and work together to form a crumbly mixture.
3. Mix in the sugar and egg to form a ball of dough.
4. Place in fridge for an hour.
5. On a lightly floured non-stick surface roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
6. Cut out desired cookies with cookie cutters. Place them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake cookies in a 180deg C (370deg F) preheated oven for 12-15 min. (depending on thickness of dough).
8. Cool cookies on a cooling rack. When cold decorate with powdered sugar glaze if desired.
For glaze place powdered sugar in a small bowl or cup and add water drop by drop constantly mixing to obtain a thick paste. Place mixture in a small pastry bag and squeeze out the desired designs on each cookie. Let dry for and hour or two, then store in a tightly covered container.