1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
1/3 cup softened butter (I used part coconut oil)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almond meal (finely ground almonds)
2 heaping tbsp protein powder
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 small espresso cup of espresso coffee (about 1/4 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain white yogurt (I used half almond milk)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the decoration: 1/4 cup each dark and white chocolate chips.
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg.F (170 deg.C).
2. Beat butter and sugars together until fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time until well blended and light.
4. Whisk together the dry ingredients.
5. Combine yogurt with vanilla and coffee.
6. Mix in the dry mixture alternately with the yogurt mixture.
7. Quickly beat in the apple cider vinegar.
8. Pour the mixture into 12-14 cupcake tins lined with cupcake liners.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes. (test with a toothpick) When cooled, decorate with chocolate chip icing.
Chocolate chip icing: Pour each of the chocolate chips into the corner of a separate ziplock plastic sandwich bag. Dip each corner of the bag into very hot water (not boiling) until the chocolate melts. Let it cool for a couple of minutes for easier handling (also the chocolate won’t be runny). Then snip off a very small portion of the corner and press to decorate. Use your imagination!