INGREDIENTS (for 6-8 scones)
2 cups (230 gr.) flour
1/4 cup (80 gr.) cold butter, chopped
1 1/2 tbsp. (20 gr.) sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1. Sift flour together with dry ingredients.
2. Rub in the butter quickly to form crumb like consistency.
3. Beat egg together with milk. Reserve 2 tbsp.
4. Pour liquid mixture gradually over the dry mixture.
5. Stir briefly until mixture forms a ball. Knead 3 or 4 times.
6. Flatten the ball to about a 1 inch thick disk on a floured surface.
7. Cut out scones with a floured biscuit cutter. Place on a greased baking pan.
8. Brush scones with the reserved egg/milk mixture.
9. Bake in a 375deg F (190deg C) oven for 10-12 minutes until golden.
Serve scones warm or cold. Split and spread with jam (good strawberry) and clotted cream.
You can find the recipe for homemade clotted cream on this blog.