INGREDIENTS (for 12-14 muffins)
1 cup wholewheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose stone ground white flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
grated rind of one organic lemon
1 cup fresh strawberries chopped in small pieces
1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flax in 3 tbsp. water) or regular egg
1/2 cup yogurt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup powdered brown sugar
1/3 cup olive oil (or coconut oil)
crunchy topping ingredients:
Mix together 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1 tsp. butter and 2 tsp. coconut (or brown) sugar in a small pan. Toast together until slightly caramelized. Cool.
1. Whisk together all the dry ingredients except sugar and strawberries.
2. Carefully fold in the prepared strawberries.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar until fluffy.
4. Mix in the yogurt, milk, grated rind and oil.
5. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Stir until barely moistened.
6. Fill paper lined muffin tins almost to the top. Sprinkle with the crunchy topping.
7. Bake in a 200deg C (400deg F) oven for 5 minutes then lower temperature to 180deg C (370deg F) and bake another 10 minutes or until golden. Remove them to a cooling rack when done.