2 cups all purpose flour (part wholewheat is good)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter chopped into small cubes
1/2 cup (2oz./60 gr.) shredded Irish cheddar or equivalent (such as pecorino)
2/3 cup buttermilk (or kefir or liquid yogurt)
OPTIONAL:1/2 cup chopped walnuts, dried sage, black pepper
1. Heat oven to 400deg F (200deg C) and lightly grease baking sheet.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Add chopped butter and quickly rub into the dry ingredients to form crumbly mixture.
4. Stir in the shredded cheese.
5. Quickly stir in the buttermilk to form a ball. Don’t over mix. Dust with a little flour.
6. Press the ball on a floured board into a disk about 1 inch (2 1/2 cm.) thick.
7. Sprinkle with a little extra cheese on top and lightly press – if desired.
8. Cut out (about 12 rounds) with a biscuit cutter (don’t twist).
9. Transfer to prepared pan and bake about 10-12 minutes until golden brown.