6-8 dried figs (sliced into thin strips cut in half)
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1 1/2 cups all purpose organic flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 scant tsp. salt
2-3 tsp. fennel seeds
1/2 cup yogurt plus 1/2 cup milk (or 1 cup buttermilk)
1 tbsp. olive oil
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp. vinegar
1. Soak cut up figs in the orange juice for an hour or more to soften them.*
2. In a large bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients except the walnuts.
3. In a smaller bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients including juice from the
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients and gradually mix in the wet ingredients.
5. Incorporate the drained figs and chopped walnuts. Form the dough into a ball.
6. Flatten slightly and place on a wax paper lined baking pan.
7. With a sharp knife cut an X on top (so dough won’t crack open).
8. Bake in a 350deg F (180deg C) preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until loaf is golden and sounds hollow when tapped with the fingers.
9. Cool loaf on a cooling rack.
*You can add a dash of rum if desired