1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter (or baking powder)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter chopped into small cubes (part coconut oil or evo good)
1/3 cup (50 gr.) shredded cheese (such as cheddar or pecorino)
2/3 cup buttermilk (or kefir or liquid plain yogurt)
1/4-1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp dried sage
dash of pepper
1. Heat oven to 400deg F (200deg C) and lightly grease baking sheet.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Add chopped butter and quickly rub into the dry ingredients to form crumbly mixture.
4. Stir in the cheese and chopped nuts.
5. Quickly stir in the buttermilk to form a ball. Don’t over mix. Dust with a little flour.
6. Press the ball on a floured board into a disk about 1 inch (2 1/2 cm.) thick.
7. Sprinkle with a little extra cheese on top if desired and lightly press.
8. Cut out (about 12 rounds) with a biscuit cutter (don’t twist).
9. Transfer to prepared pan and bake about 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
TIP: without the cheese these are great for breakfast buttered and topped with jam