2 cups (250 gr.) all purpose flour sifted with 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (100 gr.) sugar
1/3 cup (75 gr.) raisins or dried cranberries
juice squeezed from 1/2 orange and 1/2 lemon
1 small grated apple (or 1/2 large)
1/2 tsp. baking soda dissolved in a little bit of milk
1. Beat eggs together with the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Mix in the grated apple.
3. Gradually mix in the flour (with baking powder and salt) alternating with the juices.
4. Incorporate the raisins or dried cranberries.
4. Mix in the dissolved baking soda as the last step. Mixture should be of a “dropping consistency” not of the pouring kind. If too thin add a bit of flour. Be careful not to over mix.
5. Pour about two cups of light (not extra virgin) olive oil (or vegetable oil) into a small saucepan (about 6 inches or 15 cm. in diagonal). Heat until oil reaches 360deg F or 170deg C).
6. Drop spoonfuls of the dough (only 3 or 4 at a time) into the hot oil. The frittelle will turn over by themselves when browned on one side. Let the other side brown.
7. When done remove the frittelle with a slotted spoon to a plate covered with paper towelling to absorb excess fat.