INGREDIENTS (makes about 12-15 small cupcakes)
1 cup (130 gr.) poppy seeds
5 tbsp. soft butter (about 30 gr.)
3 eggs separated
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cream (2 oz.)
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
optional for decorating: chocolate ganache, red currants, whipped cream
1. Grind the poppy seeds in a food mill or grinder to a coarse consistency similar to wet sand. This can be helped out by adding a little bit of almond milk (1 -2 tbsp.).
2. Beat the butter until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Now beat in the sugar and continue beating until mixture is fluffy.
3. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt with clean beaters until light and fluffy.
4. Fold in about 1/4 of the egg whites into the mixture.
5. Fold in the rest of the egg whites carefully.
6. Now fold in the poppy seeds, cream and vanilla. Don’t over mix.
7. Fill about 12-15 paper lined cupcake tins almost to the top.
8. Bake at 350deg F (170deg C) about 20-25 minutes or until tops are slightly firm.
Tip: mixture can be spread in a wax paper lined cookie pan. When cool slice the cake into thirds and stack each layer with red currant jam. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and slice into even bars.