2/3 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 large or 3 medium eggs separated
1 small bar of white chocolate (about 3 1/2 oz. or 120 gr.)
3 oz. (90 gr.) cream cheese (I used a goat cream cheese)
juice of one small or 1/2 large orange
grated rind of one organic orange
Optional: if you want a bit of extra sweetness add 2 tbsp. of powdered sugar or a tbsp. of honey.
1. Melt chocolate over hot water in a double boiler. Remove when melted and set aside to cool slightly.
2. In the meantime beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
3. Beat the yolks until lemon coloured. Mix in the cream cheese and grated orange rind.
4. Mix in the melted chocolate.
5. Whisk together the almond meal, cornstarch and baking soda.
6. Mix the dry ingredients into the egg yolk mixture alternately with the orange juice.
7. Carefully fold in the egg whites. Don’t over mix.
8. Pour into a greased and parchment paper lined cake pan.
9. Bake in a preheated 170deg. C (350deg. F) oven for 25-30 minutes. Turn off oven. Leave cake in oven for an additional 15minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing to a serving plate.
TIP: A thin orange slice can be placed in the middle of the pan before pouring in the batter. When baked the cake can be turned over to reveal the decorative slice.