One ready made pie crust (double crust-for top and bottom) or homemade using 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup butter, salt, 1/3 cup ice cold water. For another version and method see my March pie crust recipe.
1 1/2 to 2 cups goat milk ricotta cheese (or regular if you can’t find it)
1 egg beaten
2 bunches (1 lb.) of beet tops (leaves complete with their red stems)
1 medium purple or red onion
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2-3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Line a regular pie pan with the pie crust.
2. Saute’ the chopped onion slightly in the oil, add the chopped greens and continue cooking until they are tender (about 10 min).
3. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. In the meantime mix the cheeses and egg until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Mix the greens into the cheese mixture.
6. Transfer the prepared mixture into the crust lined pan. Top with the other crust. Crimp the edges and prick top with fork.
7. Bake in a preheated (375deg F.)(180deg C.) for 25 – 40 min or until golden.
8. Cool slightly before serving.
Tip: To make the bottom crust crisper, cover it with a few slices of prosciutto (or ham) before filling the pan with the mixture.