1 and 1/2 cups (170 gr.) semi-whole wheat flour*
1/2 cup (70 gr.) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup vegan margarine (or coconut oil) very soft or melted
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup agave syrup
6 tbsp. aqua faba (egg substitute) or 3 egg whites for non-vegan version
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup plain soya yogurt (or regular yoga for non-vegan version)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
optional: 1/4-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
*or all purpose flour or a mix of 1/4 cup oatmeal flour + 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1. Whisk together the dry ingredients (less chips and/or nuts, and sugar) in a small bowl.
2. Beat aqua faba or egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
3. Whisk together the wet ingredients together in a medium bowl. Beat in the sugar until smooth.
4. Mix in the dry ingredients and chips without over mixing. Carefully fold in the whipped aqua faba.
5. Spread batter in a greased and floured regular bread pan or three small mini loaf pans.
6. Bake regular loaf in a preheated 350deg F (170deg C) preheated oven for 50 minutes, testing with a toothpick for doneness or 25-30 minutes for the mini loaf pans.
7. Cool bread in the pan(s) for 10 minutes before removing. Continue cooling on a cooling rack.