2 ready made round pie crusts or see crust recipe for Cherry Pie on this blog
Filling: Combine all the filling ingredients except butter
4-5 medium apples. peeled and thinly sliced
1/4-1/3 cup sugar (depending on sweetness of apples)
4 tbsp. flour
a pinch of each cinnamon and nutmeg
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp butter for dotting
Topping: 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate kernels
powdered sugar for dusting
1. Place one rolled out crust into the pie plate.
2. Spread all the filling ingredients over the crust. Dot with bits of butter.
3. Cut out a star shape in the middle of the top crust using a large star cutter.
4. Carefully place the crust over the apples. Crimp edges.
5. Bake the pie at 375deg F (180deg C) for about 35-40 min. or until crust is golden.
6. Bake the star shape separately on a cookie sheet about 10-15 min.
7. When the pie is cooled, dust it with powdered sugar and carefully fill the center star shape with the pomegranate kernels.