present in so many other recipes. You can have your bread on the table in a little more than an hour – from mixing to baking!
2 cups stone ground organic all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour (I used part (1/4 cup) buckwheat flour)
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1 tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
1/4 cup cold butter (I used part olive oil)
1 cup plain yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup milk (or buttermilk)
1/2 to 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1. In a large bowl whisk together the flours, baking powder, soda, salt, sugar and caraway seeds. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until consistency of coarse cornmeal. (like pie crust)
2. Beat the egg with a fork and combine with the yogurt/milk mixture. Stir this into the dry ingredients with a fork until dough comes together. Work in the cranberries.
Knead lightly on a floured board (just a little). Dough will be very soft.
3. Form dough into one long loaf or two smaller ones to fit your greased pan/s.
4. Make several diagonal slits in the top with a sharp knife (to avoid the bread splitting during baking).
5. Bake in a 180deg C (375deg F) oven for 36-40 minutes until done (loaf will sound hollow when tapped with the knuckles).
5. Remove bread to a cooling rack to cool completely for slicing.