INGREDIENTS for one large or two small loaves
2 1/2 cups (275 gr.) all purpose or bread flour
1 2/3 cups (200 gr.) buckwheat flour (or whole wheat)
1 1/2 cups (300 ml) almond milk (or other vegetable milk)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp. dried sour dough starter (optional)
1 large egg (or 3 tbsp. aquafaba for vegan version).
2 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
1 tbsp. vinegar
optional 1-2 tsp. cumin seeds
1. Combine dry ingredients and sift together (for a lighter loaf) into a bowl.
2. Whisk together the rest of the (wet) ingredients.
3. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour the liquid mixture into it.
4. If using a stand mixer use the dough hook to knead the dough for 4-5 minutes (or use hands).
5. When the dough comes together into a ball (it will be a bit sticky) remove it with oiled hands and place it into your greased baking pan.*
BAKE in a preheated 375degF (190degC) oven for around 40 minutes until well browned and bottom of bread sounds hollow when tapped with the knuckles. Cool on a cooling rack.
*For a traditional soda bread you can form one large round loaf and make a crosswise cut on top.