1 and 1/2 lb. head of savoy cabbage (cavolo verza in Italian)
1 cup (150 gr.) pearl barley
1/2 cup (100 gr.) beluga lentils (small black lentils)
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped parsley (reserving 1 tbsp.)
3 or 4 sage leaves (chopped)
2 or 3 mint leaves (finely sliced)
3 or 4 tbsp. grated parmigiano cheese (optional)
salt and pepper
1. Remove and discard outer leaves of the cabbage.
2. Boil the leaves in salted boiling water for 5-6 minutes. Cool leaves.
3. Boil the barley and lentils together in salted water until tender (about 30 min.). Drain.
4. Mix in parmigiano cheese, 2 tbsp. olive oil, walnuts, chopped herbs and the juice of 1 lemon.
5. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
6. Now layer the leaves with the prepared barley-lentil mixture creating the original shape of the cabbage.
7, Brush finished stuffed cabbage with a little olive oil. Place on an oiled baking sheet.
8. Bake in a preheated 350deg.F (160deg.C) oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven.
9. Sprinkle with the reserved parsley. Slice and serve hot. (3 to 4 servings)