1 large or 2 medium apples
1 medium orange
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups (150 gr) flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp (70 gr) light brown sugar
2/3 cup low fat yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 egg whites whipped to firm peaks
Orange sauce: 2 tbsp fresh orang juice and 1 tbsp honey
1. Sift together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
2. Peel the apple/s* and orange. Slice into even sections. Set aside.
3. Grease a cake pan, flour the sides and arrange the fruit slices on the bottom.
4. Sift the dry ingredients into a medium bowl. Mix in the sugar. Set aside.
5. Whisk together the oil, yogurt and vanilla. Mix gently into the above dry mixture.
6. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold into the prepared batter.
7. Pour the finished batter over the sliced fruit. Smooth over the top.
8. Bake in a preheated 180degC (350deg F) oven for 30-35 minutes or until top springs back when gently touched or a toothpick comes out dry when inserted.
9. Run a knife around edge of pan when done and invert onto a plate. Pour orange sauce over the cake and cool before serving. Slice and enjoy!
*Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apple slices to avoid darkening.
Orange honey sauce: Warm two tbsp fresh orange juice with 1 tbsp honey.