5-6 sliced apples (unpeeled if organic)
juice of half a lemon
1/4 – 1/3 cup brown or coconut sugar
1 tbsp flour or cornstarch
1 tsp cinnamon
Biscuit Dough Topping:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk + 1/3 cup 5% plain yogurt (or buttermilk)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup nuts (walnuts or pecans) if desired
1. Mix the sliced apples with the lemon juice.
2. Whisk remaining dry ingredients and mix into prepared apples.
3. Transfer the mixture into a buttered deep baking dish (8″X 8″) 20X20 cm.
4. Set aside and prepare topping.
5. For the topping whisk together the dry ingredients up to salt.
6. Beat the egg, milk, yogurt and melted butter.
7. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture while briefly mixing (don’t over mix).
8. When all the liquid is incorporated drop tablespoonfuls of the dough evenly onto the apple mixture.
9. Spread out the dough to create an even topping. Sprinkle with the nuts. Bake in a 370degF (180degC) oven for 40-45 minutes until top is golden and filling is bubbling. Serve warm.
TIP: You can mix in a tbsp of rum or Amaretto liquor into the apples if desired.