INGREDIENTS for sweet roll pastry
4-1/3 cups (500 gr.) flour (of which I used 1 cup “Tumminia”)
2 tsp. dry yeast
2 tbsp. dry sourdough starter
1/2 cup (125 ml.) tepid almond milk (or water)
1/2 cup (125 ml.) tepid kefir (or milk)
1/2 cup (90 gr.) sugar
2 large eggs (reserve white of one egg)
2 tbsp. soft butter
2 tbsp. mild olive oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
grated rind of one organic lemon
for glaze: 2 tbsp. sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup water – boiled together for 5 minutes.
for filling: 1 cup freshly whipped cream with 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
1. Whisk together the flour with yeast and sourdough starter. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl mix the warm milk and kefir together with the sugar and salt until dissolved.
3. Add the vanilla and grated lemon rind as well.
4. Now mix in the flour to form a soft dough (dough hooks on mixer work well here).
5. Incorporate the eggs (minus one white) and continue kneading.
6. Finally knead in the butter and oil. Continue kneading to form a soft and elastic dough.
7. Form a ball and place dough into a clean lightly oiled bowl. Cover with wax paper and let rise.
8. When doubled in size (1-2 hours) punch down and form a long cylinder. Slice it into 16 pieces.
9. Form oval shaped rolls and place them onto a wax paper lined baking sheet. Cover again with wax paper and let them rise in a warm draft free spot until doubled (about an hour). Then brush each roll with the reserved beaten egg white. Bake in a preheated 370degF (180deg C) oven for about 20 minutes until golden and done. Remove them from the oven and place them on a rack. Brush each roll with the glaze and cool.
TO SERVE: Slice each cooled roll in half crosswise and fill with sweetened whipped cream. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.