1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup soft butter (or part vegan butter)
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped almonds and/or pistachios, pecans (divided)
pinch of salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 325deg F (170deg C).
2. In a large bowl beat the first 1/2 cup flour, butter and vanilla until fluffy.
3. Gradually mix in the flour, salt and nuts (if using only one type).
4. If you wish you can divide the dough in equal parts and gently knead in the desired nuts into each part.
5. With hands roll into walnut sized balls and place slightly apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until cookies are firm but not brown. They should be very pale in color.
7. Remove immediately from cookie sheet and let cool slightly. While still warm roll them in 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
8. Cool completely. You can reroll them again in powdered sugar if you wish.
PEANUT BUTTER VARIATION Substitute peanut butter for half of the butter (1/2 cup peanut butter + 1/2 cup butter)