3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oatmeal flour (finely ground)
1/3 cup cold butter (part solid coconut oil – up to 1/2) chopped into small pieces.
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons cold water
8 small apples (peeled, cored and sliced horizontally in half) and sprinkled with:
lemon juice (1/2 of a lemon)
1/3 cup light brown sugar + 2 T. honey
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1. Combine all the dry pastry ingredients.
2. Work fats into dry ingredients with a pastry blender (like pie crust).
3. Mix in the water quickly with a fork until a ball forms.
4. Press together into a thick disc, cover with cling film and chill while preparing
5. Melt sugar and butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
6. Arrange the halved apples in a single layer (or larger ones sliced horizontally
into 4 or 5 slices). Turn up the heat and cook for 15-20 min. turning the apples
now and then until they are tender and caramelized and mixture is thickened.
7. With a spatula transfer the apples evenly into a lightly buttered cake or pie pan
and pour the rest of the filling over the top.
8. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts.
9. Roll out the chilled pastry and place over top of the apples, tucking the edges
down the inside of the pan. Bake in a 400 deg.F (200 deg.C) preheated oven for
about 25-30 min. until the crust is crisp and lightly browned. Let the tart cool
for 10-15 min. before turning it upside down onto a plate. Serve slightly warm,
plain or topped with whipping cream or vanilla ice-cream.