INGREDIENTS (for 6 to 8 large meringues)
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
2 cups berries of your choice (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
1. In a large, clean bowl beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until foamy.
2. Beat in sugar gradually a spoonful at a time until firm peaks form.
3. Carefully fold in cornstarch (better sifted over whites), lemon juice and vanilla.
4. On a parchment covered baking sheet form 6-8 meringues with a slight indentation in the center.
5. Bake the meringues in a 275degF (140deg C) preheated oven for 40-50 minutes.
6. Turn off oven without opening door and let meringues cool there for one hour.
7. Remove meringues to serving plates or store in a tightly closed plastic bag until ready to serve.
8. Cover each meringue with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and top with the fresh berries.