60 gr. butter (1/4 cup)
1 tbsp cocoa
60 gr. (2 oz.) dark 70% chocolate
50 gr. (1/3 cup) light brown sugar, lightly packed
1 large egg plus one yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
40 gr. (1/3 cup) all purpose flour
1. In a double boiler (bagno maria) melt the butter, cocoa, chocolate and sugar together, mixing well. Remove from heat.
2. Beat the eggs and gradually add to the chocolate mixture. (start by mixing in a
teaspoon of the egg into the hot mixture, then add the rest, mixing well).
3. Beat in the vanilla and flour, mixing until smooth.
4. Divide the mixture among 4 (1/2 cup size) buttered ramekins or custard cups.
5. If not serving immediately the mixture can be kept in the fridge until when ready to use. Otherwise place the cups on a baking sheet and bake in a 180 C. (375 F.) oven for about 20 minutes. Slightly more if refrigerated.
6. Remove from oven and let sit for a few seconds, then run a sharp knife around the edge of the cups and turn them out onto a serving plate.
7. Serve immediately with ice-cream or whipped cream if desired. They can also be decorated with a squiggle of chocolate sauce. The centers should be runny.