1 2/3 cups (200 gr.) all purpose flour
1 cup spelt flour (farro) regular flour ok too
3/4 cup sugar (130 gr.)
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/3 cup coconut oil (or soft butter, or other oil)
2 small containers (150 gr. each) about 1 cup of plain yogurt
2 medium or one large pomegranate, kernels removed from membranes and peel
1 whole egg + 2 egg whites (or two eggs)
1. First of all take half of the pomegranate kernels and juice them (crushing them or even quickly using a blender and straining the juice through a sieve). Keep the other half of the kernels whole.
2. Beat the eggs while adding the sugar gradually until light and fluffy.
3. Mix in the oil, yogurt and salt. Then add the flours which have been sifted with the leavenings and salt.
4. Mix in the pomegranate juice and then the kernels. (If very thick add a little milk).
5. Fill cupcake pans (with cupcake liners) 2/3 full and bake in a preheated 370deg. F (180deg. C) oven until golden about 20-25 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, cool in pan for 3 or 4 minutes then place them on a cooling rack (so bottoms don’t get soggy).
7. When cooled dust them with powdered sugar if desired.
TIP: If you reserve a teaspoon or two of the pomegranate juice you can make a delicious glaze by mixing it with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar.