1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour (160 gr.)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. powdered sugar (or very fine sugar)
1/2 cup (90 gr.) very cold butter (half solid coconut oil good) chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup very cold water (half white wine for crispier crust)
1. Whisk together the dry ingredients.
2. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or food processor to form a crumbly texture.
3. Quickly stir in the water with a fork until you form form a ball. Chill in the fridge.
400 gr. (about a pound) of pumpkin or squash (butternut is good) cut into chunks.
1/3 cup (65 gr. coconut sugar)
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp powdered ginger
a dash of nutmeg
1 egg plus 1 yolk
1/2 cup (75 ml) fresh cream (sour cream good too)
1/2 cup crushed amaretti cookies
1. Steam pumpkin until tender. Drain well and cool.
2. Add all of the filling ingredients except amaretti cookies and blend until smooth.
Roll out 2/3 of the crust dough to a circle slightly larger than the pie pan. Place a metal pan slightly smaller than the pie pan in the center of the prepared crust. Bake in a 180deg C (350deg F) for 10-12 minutes until firm. In the meantime roll out the smaller portion of dough to make leaf cutouts if desired. Set aside. Remove baked crust from the oven and remove the center pan. Evenly sprinkle the bottom of the baked crust with the amaretti cookies. Pour the prepared filling over and smooth. Arrange the crust leaves over the top and bake the pie in a 180degC (350deg F) oven for 30-35 minutes or until filling is firm in the center. Cool on a wire rack and serve tepid or cold. Store in the fridge up to three days. Enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!