1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 oz. (30 gr.) dark chocolate, melted
2 tbsp. coconut (or other vegetable) oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup all purpose flour (or half whole wheat flour)
1 and 1/4 cup finely shredded or grated fresh beets
for topping: chopped pistachios, almonds, walnut halves
1. Preheat oven to 350deg. F (170deg. C).
2. Beat eggs with sugar until fluffy.
3. Beat in the slightly cooled melted chocolate, oil, and vanilla.
4. Stir in the flour sifted with the cocoa and baking soda and baking powder.
5. Stir in the shredded fresh beets.
6. Spoon into paper cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with nuts.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until done (test with toothpick). Cool and serve.