1 cup soft dates (without seeds) chopped
1/3 cup water
3/4 cup rhubarb jam
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup amaranth, buckwheat or regular flour (or a mix)
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cups butter (half solid coconut oil good)
2/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 egg beaten
1. In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil, add dates and boil 5 minutes until thickened.
2. Mix in the rhubarb jam and set aside while preparing the crumble.
3. In a large bowl whisk the flours together with baking soda and salt.
4. Mix in the brown sugar until combined.
5. Rub in the butter to form a crumbly mixture.
6. Mix in the oatmeal and chopped nuts.
7. Sprinkle beaten egg over mixture and using hands rub quickly together to form streusel-like clumps.
8. Press 1/2 of mixture lightly and evenly in a greased and floured (13×9 inch) baking pan.
9. Spread evenly with the fruit mixture. Sprinkle with remaining crumble. Press lightly. Bake in a preheated 375deg.F
(180deg.C) oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool, cut into bars and serve.