1/3 cup soft butter plus 3 tbsp for the pan
1/2 cup fine light brown sugar plus 2 tbsp for the pan
1/2 fresh and ripe pineapple
a few red candied cherries
2 eggs separated (the whites beaten to firm peaks)
grated rind of a lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour + 1/2 cup cornstarch sifted (or 1 1/2 cups cake flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1. Peel, core and slice the pineapple in 1/2 inch slices.
2. Brush the 2 tbsp melted butter on the bottom and sides of a cake pan.
3. Sprinkle the 2 tbsp brown sugar evenly in the pan.
4. Arrange the pineapple slices over the prepared pan and decorate with the cherries.
In the meantime prepare the cake batter:
5. Sift the flour with the cornstarch, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
6. Beat the 1/3 cup butter with the 1/2 cup sugar until fluffy.
7. Gradually beat in the egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon rind.
8. Mix in the flour mixture alternating with the yogurt. (add a little milk if too thick)
9. Fold in the beaten egg whites. Pour or spoon the batter over the arranged pieces of pineapple in the pan. Smooth over the top and bake the cake in a 350deg F (180deg C) preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes or until the top is firm. Remove pan to a cooling rack. After 10 minutes turn it out carefully onto a serving dish. Let cool completely. Serve warm or cold. Store in the fridge the next day.