Note: The measurement cup used here is a 125 g. yogurt container (roughly about 1/2 regular cup)
2 eggs (separated)
1 yogurt cup sugar (cane or coconut – ground to a fine powder)
1 yogurt cup olive oil (part soft butter good)
2 yogurt cups flour
1 yogurt cup almond meal (ground almonds)
1 cup milk (almond milk or plain yogurt good too)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
grated rind of one organic orange
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1. Beat egg whites with half the sugar to stiff peaks. Set aside.
2. Beat the yolks with the rest of the sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Combine oil, milk and rind and mix into the egg yolk mixture until well combined.
4. Sift the flour with the baking powder and soda. Mix into the above liquid mixture.
5. Stir in the orange juice, apple cider vinegar (if using) and the almond meal.
6. Lastly fold in the beaten egg whites until barely combined.
7. Fill paper lined cupcake tins with the batter almost to the top.
8. Bake for 20 minutes at 180deg C (370deg F) in a preheated oven until golden.
9. Remove cupcakes from oven and leave in tins 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack. Frost with the following icing when cooled:
Mix 1 cup of powdered sugar with 2-3 tbsp. fresh orange juice and 1 tsp. orange rind.
NOTE: You can use lemon juice and rind for another version if desired.