1/2 cup (115 gr) cold butter cut into small pieces
juice and rind of 1 large orange (about 1 cup reserving about 2 tsp for the glaze)
1/2 cup cream (about 100 gr)
2 1/4 cups (260 gr) all purpose flour
1/4 cup (50 gr) sugar
1/2 cup (60 gr) almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
optional 2-3 tbsp finely chopped candied orange peel
1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water for brushing scones
for glaze: 1/2 cup powdered sugar mixed with 2-3 tsp orange juice
1. Combine cream, juice (minus 3 tsp for glaze) and orange rind. Set aside.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and soda and salt. Mix in the sugar and almond flour.
3. Rub the butter pieces into the flour mixture until crumbly.
4. With a fork mix in the cream/juice mixture until a ball forms. Press lightly together. (add candied peel if using)
5. Flatten the ball of dough into a disk about 2.5 cm (i inch thick) Use a rolling pin if you wish.
6. Using a floured biscuit cutter or small glass press out the scones.
7. Place the scones on a greased baking sheet and brush them with the beaten egg.
8. Bake scones in a preheated 190 deg C (375 deg F) oven for 15-20 min.
9. Remove to a cooling rack. Split in two adding clotted cream* or jam when cooled if desired. Glaze if you wish.
*Find my clotted cream recipe on this blog.