1 1/3 cup (150 gr.) all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups (150 gr.) finely ground (fumetto) yellow cornmeal
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup (150 gr.) of sugar
pinch of salt
1/3 cup (80 gr.) melted or very soft butter
2 rounded tbsp. dried Elderberry (Sambuco) flowers
2 eggs separated
1/4 cup powdered sugar and extra for dusting
1 cup milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1. Beat the egg whites with 1/4 cup powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Set aside.
2. Whisk the dry ingredients together.
3. Add the egg, butter and half the milk and beat together.
4. Beat in the remaining milk gradually to form a thick batter.
5. Beat in the vinegar.
6. Fold in the egg whites carefully.
7. Pour into a buttered wax paper lined pan, dusted with flour.
8. Bake in a moderate oven (350deg. F) (180deg. C) for 40 minutes or until cake tests done. (middle is firm or toothpick comes out clean).
9. Cool 10 minutes and turn out of the pan. Dust with powdered sugar when cool.
Tip: In place of the Elderberries 2 tbsp. of grated coconut could be used too.