250 gr. pasta
2 cups finely chopped cherry tomatoes
4 tbsp. olive oil (divided)
salt and pepper
grated parmesan cheese
a small sliced mozzarella cheese
a small round purple eggplant (aubergine)
a few basil leaves
1. Start by preparing sauce: saute’ the onion in the olive oil, then add the tomatoes and gently simmer until tomatoes are soft, adding a couple of basil leaves halfway. Season. Set aside. (keep warm)
2. In the meantime boil the pasta of your choice “al dente”. A “frilly” pasta works well here as it absorbs the sauce and keeps its shape (spaghetti twirled with a fork into a rounded shape ok too).
3. Mix in the prepared sauce. Keep covered and warm.
4. Thinly slice the eggplant (about 1/4 inch or 1/2 cm) thick and fry on both sides in the hot oil.
5. Drain the slices on paper toweling, season with salt and pepper.
6. To assemble, place one slice of eggplant on each dish. Top with a portion of the prepared pasta.
Sprinkle with some parmesan. Add a slice of mozzarella. Cover with another slice of eggplant.
7. Decorate with fresh basil and serve, Buon appetito!