1 tbsp. yeast in granules
2 cups warm water
1 and 1/2 cups stone ground (or unbleached) whole wheat flour (or rye flour or a mix)
2 tbsp plain white yogurt
optional – 1 tsp. ground cumin seeds
1. Dissolve the yeast in water in a large jar.
2. Mix with a wooden spoon and let stand 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the 1 tbsp. yogurt and the flour, mixing thoroughly.
4. Cover with the lid or plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place overnight or at room temperature 2 days.
5. It should become bubbly and slightly sour smelling.
6. Use immediately in any bread recipe or place covered in the fridge up to a week.
7. If you haven’t used it within a week remove about 1/2 – 1 cup (discard) and add the equivalent amount of water and flour (1/2 flour and 1/2 water), leave at room temperature for about 2 hrs. or until it bubbles again. Put back in fridge.
8. If using (should be at room temperature) remove the amount required and replace it with an equal amount of flour and water mixture. Let it bubble (ferment), then put back in fridge.
NOTE: Remember to feed it once a week. Always stir down before returning to the fridge. If you like your bread a little less sour add 1/4 tsp. baking soda for each cup of starter to “sweeten”.
fermenting sourdough starter