300 gr. flour
180 gr. butter
100 gr. finely ground pistachios
4 egg yolks
80 gr. sugar
1 tsp. grated rind of lemon.
1 cup powdered sugar (for dusting or icing)
Optional: 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachios for decorating
1. Work the butter into the flour with a pastry blender or fingertips.
2. Mix in the sugar and pistachio meal.
3. Mix the egg yolks with the salt and lemon rind and add to flour mixture.
4. Knead briefly and form a ball.
5. Chill briefly in fridge for an hour or two.
6. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch (1/2 cm.) thickness and cut out tree shapes with a cookie cutter. Bake for about 10 minutes in a preheated 180deg.C (370deg.F) oven.
7. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar or glaze with powdered sugar glaze. If desired dip glazed cookies (before they dry) into the roughly chopped pistachios.
Tip: Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper for easier removal.